Sunday 13 October 2013



 Sometimes in life we experience the most amazing discoveries. Such a discovery came my way in the form of an old, rather dilapidated photograph album, found on the floor of my elderly parents shed. There were old fragmented books and various boxes all in a state of decay....... Mum explained, the album was all that was left of her life in Germany, it contained images of the past, her family, Nazi Germany there was also her camera. I salvaged what fragments and photos I could, along with a diary that mum had kept......documenting her experiences of Berlin during 1945/46. This was the start of an installation piece of work I made.


The old photo album was displayed 



These are some of the images of Berlin that mum took on her camera




I wanted to convey the these photos as living memories still active to my mum





The photos flew down into hands that I had made using Resin, inside I had stitched the words of the German/Jewish poet Paul Celan

 "Sewn Under the Skin of my hands"

For my mother these memories and experiences have never faded they are metaphorically speaking sewn into the very fabric of her being.






I also hand stitched her portrait 




Until next time ........Marilyn xx

21 comments:

  1. Wow, Marilyn. Beautiful installation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie....I want to add your blog to my list just trying to figure out how I do that lol

      Delete
  2. magnificent installation and gorgeous portrait. nice to see your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so moving, and your installation is superb. Thankyou for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what your mother thought of your installation Marilyn, I found your facebook images so moving and so beautiful at the same time. Your stitched portrait of your mother is just breathtakingly beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just trying to find my way around blogger Jayne xxx

      Delete
  5. A stunning installation and moving memory tale. Thank you for sharing Marilyn. I admire your work and your sensibility...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am astounded, this body of work is absolutely amazing Marilyn. Many thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Julie I am so glad you liked it and thank you for following me xx I just need to work out how I can add to my blog list lol.

      Delete
  7. Lovely installation Marilyn, I saw this exhibition and was amazed by both the intricacies of your work and how touched by the whole experience of looking at how you had explained this dreadful war and the connection you had with your own family I was. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sobering. Somber. Humbling. Real.
    Hard to know how to process this in just one quick glance.
    Your mother experienced something that is unexplainable to survive, and yet she and so many did.
    What a scar on humanity.
    Still there is always a way to Redemption!
    Then, there is the matter of your skill level!
    Un Be Lievable!
    Thank you for sharing this multifaceted GIFT with us.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Laura such lovely comments.....thank you xx

      Delete
  9. Marilyn, this is wonderful, very moving and a beautiful tribute to your mother
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful work Marilyn, I wish I could have seen it exhibited. It's truly creative that you have turned your mother's memories into a beautiful and touching artwork. Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...what a powerful installation! I would love to see it in person. You can feel how the photos drift through time. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so moved to see this, Marilyn-thank you for you artistry, and your heart.

    ReplyDelete